01/19/13 - 01/21/13
The SnoBall 500 is a winter Raptor Run/driving experience. During this run you and your Raptor will encounter everything that Mother Nature and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan can throw at it. There will be areas of two track roads, logging trails, forest service roads and country roads. These roads will have varying degrees of snowfall on them, from significant snow fall to minimal/scraped country roads. From the moment you put the SnoBall 500 official window decal on your truck you are in for one of the most unique and exciting weekends ever. This is not a race we will stay together as a pack and work as a team to insure everyone makes it to each destination.
But the driving isn’t the only appeal to this run. We will also be staying in a few of the nicest Hotel/Casinos in the Upper Peninsula. There will be plenty of time to unwind in whatever fashion you desire, whether it is hanging out at the sports bar, gambling or getting a massage.
Please visit the SnoBall 500 Facebook page: www.facebook.com/SnoBall500
Friday Night (1/19/2013)
The Run doesn’t officially begin until Saturday morning at 0830, but for anyone interested in crossing the Mackinaw Bridge as a group we will be meeting at 1630est. Meeting location is the Burger King off of exit 338 on I-75. We will leave no later than 7pm for the Island Resort and Casino.
There will be a mandatory registration at 10pm eastern time in the Eagles room located in the Convention Center at the Island Resort and Casino we will have everyone’s SnoBall 500 gear there.
Registration is sponsored by Azunia Tequila
This is the day everyone has been waiting for!!!! At 0830 there will be a drivers meeting just to go over some basics and so that everyone is on the same page. At 0900 we head out towards the Norway truck trail and our scramble area. On the way will encounter snow covered roads and significant snow drifts. The Norway truck trail is an off roaders dream, the trail includes everything for open sections to granite rocks.
After the truck trail we will make our way up County roads and two track roads with the group stopping for lunch at the Up North Lodge as well as a possible stop at Da Yoopers Tourist Trap. After some more back country roads we end up on 41 ending up at the Travelodge in Houghton, MI. The Travelodge is located near quite a few bars and restaurants including the Keweenaw Brewing Co.
Sunday is a long day we will have a drivers meeting 0830 just to go over the differences between Sunday and Saturdays terrain. The group will leave from the Travelodge at 0900 and head up one of the most scenic routes in Michigan all the way to Copper Harbor, MI. We will hang out for a bit to take pictures then the group heads back down to Houghton where we will get lunch. From here we head out towards Ontonagon following forest service roads and country roads. When we arrive as a pack of Raptors in the small town of Ontonagon we will take some pictures and rest our legs for a short break.
As we leave Ontonagon the sun will be setting as we travel along the coast of Lake Superior across forest service roads, county roads and ORV routes. Our final destination is the Lac Vieux Desert Casino in Watersmeet, MI. But our day does not end when we arrive at the Casino. Those that are interested after checking in will meet at 2100 for a very interesting experience, the Paulding light. The Paulding light is a light that appears in the sky and has also appeared in shows such as paranormal activity, Ripley’s Believe it or not, and Unsolved Mysteries.
On Monday morning we find us nearing the completion of this run, we have reserved a banquet room for a late breakfast and run closing event. During the this time we have some Swag to give away from our sponsors as well as a Raffle for donated items. After the closing events we will all start to make our way home, thinking about the weekend the whole time.
Price for event:
$125 per Truck/Driver – Includes 1 SnoBall 500 sweatshirt or hoodie, SnoBall 500 window stickers with truck number, entrance into closing event with breakfast/raffle drawing
$40 per Co-Driver/Passenger – Includes 1 SnoBall 500 sweatshirt or hoodie, entrance into closing event with breakfast/raffle drawing.
Register via PayPal and please pay as a Gift:
Please include your name, phone number, Screen Name, Year, color, SCab or SCrew and size of Sweatshirt. If you have a Co-driver please include their name, Screen name (if applicable) and sweatshirt size.
*** A major portion of the proceeds from the Raffle will be donated to the Wounded Warrior Project. This donation will be made under the Ford Raptor Owners. ***
SnoBall 500 Rules
- 100% Sober Driving.
- Alcohol consumption will not be tolerated on trails or any time you are driving. Remember these are state roads. You will get a DUI if caught.
- Illegal drug use will not be tolerated. Same as alcohol consumption
- Do not tailgate
- No littering
- Know the limitations of your driving ability and your Raptor in the conditions.
- No whiners!
- Everyone in your vehicle must have a filled out waiver. NO Exceptions! You will not be allowed to participate without everyone having a completed waiver.
First and foremost every truck, Driver and Co-Pilot must be ready for the first all-cold weather Raptor Run ever planned. A positive attitude goes a long way. We will stay as a group though out this event and arrive at each destination as a pack, this is NOT a race. Being the inaugural event there maybe changes along the way depending on snow level for better and worse. We will not be afraid to deviate from our route to encounter deep snow if it’s possible. Snow is the key to this trip, while it will be fun with minimal snow, the SnoBall 500 could become EPIC with massive amounts of fresh snow. Please keep an open mind and be prepared to be a part of the best cold weather Raptor Run ever planned.
Every truck must have these items at a minimum before participating in the SnoBall 500
- Working 4wd
- All maintenance up to date and no major issues
- Decent tires: We’re not going to go around and checking everyone’s tires but if you have very little remaining tread do us a favor and get them replaced before the SnoBall 500.
- Spare tire/tires secured and located in the bed of the truck. Contact WSI for mounting solutions
- 2 bags of sand or cat litter
- One shovel
- Tow strap at least 20’ and rated to pull the truck and 2 D rings
- Winter boots: Lacrosse, Muck, Sorels, etc. You may have to get out into very deep snow.
- Winter clothing: Just like above it is more than likely going to be cold and you will have to get out of your vehicle.
- Ice Scraper/Snowbrush & -30 degree windshield washer fluid
Recommended Additional Items
- You do not need a Co-pilot but it is recommended to help with communication traffic and navigating the trails/roads. Plus it’s more fun with someone in the truck with you.
- VHF/FRS radio
- Navigation: Lowrance, Garmin, Android tablet with an offroad map app.
- 5 gallons extra gas
- A Come along
- Floor jack and some wood blocks to help support it in the snow
- Auxiliary lighting. While it can’t be used on road it would be a great benefit on the ORV Routes, Forrest Service roads.
- First Aid Kit
151.820 MHz Bandwidth 11.25 kHz
151.880 MHz Bandwidth 11.25 kHz
151.940 MHz Bandwidth 11.25 kHz
*** Please make sure that your radio is programmed for these frequencies.
Island Resort and Casino-
$97.01 ———–Ford Raptor Group
62.10+tax———Ford Raptor Group Book by 12/19
Houghton overflow hotel:
Franklin Square Inn
$89-$109—— No group booking
Lac Vieux Desert Casino
$49 + tax ———-Tell code 2784
Island Resort and Casino – does not accept pets.
Travel Lodge accepts pets – $20 / stay.
Lac Vieux Desert Casino – allows pets in some smoking rooms.
Island Resort & Casino Harris, MI